Sunday 22 January 2017

More on DramaAspects

I recently backed Ben Robbins’ collaborative story game Follow, and I was delighted to see that he uses the same “I need, but you won’t give me…” approach to inter-character drama that I’ve been using for DramaAspects (and wrote about here).

It’s interesting that Robbins’ uses “need” rather than “want” (which is from Hillfolk). I much prefer “need” as it’s stronger.

Follow also contains many more examples of needs, which I’ve harvested and will use as examples for my Fate games. The main lesson I’ve learned from Follow is to be more specific, though

Here’s my new list:

I need, but you won’t give me...


  • You to admit I’m: the better swordsman (pilot/sniper/sailor/leader…)/braver/the better warrior/a hero of legend...
  • Your respect as an artist/spouse/parent/swordsman...
  • Your support to: to put me in charge/get my agenda followed/convince others of something...
  • You to admit you were wrong about: strategy/a previous campaign/a colleague...
  • You to ask your friends/connections to: donate/provide support/provide information...
  • You to treat me as an equal.
  • A promotion/more responsibility. Put me in charge of fighting/food/repairs/navigation...
  • You to swear me in as a knight/priest/apprentice/retainer....
  • You to pardon me for past crimes/dishonors
  • You to do as you’re told/follow my orders.
  • Your protection. Keep me out of danger.
  • You to let me protect you.
  • You to renounce violence/pacificism/our traditions/your religion
  • You to embrace violence/pacificism/our traditions/my religion
  • Special treatment. More (money/food/protection/status) for me and my people.
  • A legal pardon for past misdeeds (what did you do?)
  • To know the truth about: why you volunteered/a previous mission/your background/my father/what happened that night...
  • You to trust me/tell what you’re planning/rely on me.
  • You to trust me: with your secret/to handle dangerous situations/to lead an attack/to pilot the ship...
  • You to stop: telling me what to do/thinking you know what’s best/protecting me...
  • You to teach me to: act/sing/pick up dates/control my powers/fight crime/be a leader/shoot/ride/be tough/not be afraid...
  • You to forgive me for: accidentally destroying property/letting a criminal get away/cheating you/stealing your true love/leaving you for dead/my mistake/giving you a scar/betraying you/leaving you behind/ratting you out/an act of violence/an act of cowardice/collaborating...
  • Your love/be my partner/be my best friend/get over me/marry me/divorce me/have my child.

Follow includes a need that I don’t like - and that’s revenge. “I need, but you won’t give me, revenge on you for…” doesn’t quite work for me as I don’t see how you can stop me from taking revenge on you. I think that’s better done as forgiveness - I’ve done something terrible and I need you to forgive me.

I’ve not played Follow yet, but I’m looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment